Places to see
The Dome and the square
Ancient civil and religious city’s centre. The construction’s works begun in 1396 under Lorenzo degli Spazzi’s project and ended in 1740 with the conclusion of the cupola, designed by Filippo Juvarra. The Dome was the biggest civic building site.
Typically gothic, the façade incorporates various elements of the Renaissance.
The plant it’s divided in 3 naves divided by 10 pillars, and the bays are covered by cross vaults.
Remarkable building with white, grey and red bands built at the beginning of 1200, it follows the traditional model of the Lombard broletto, with an extensive porch at the ground floor and ample polifores in the mezzanine floor.
Inside the Walled city, the Church shows a structure of likely German origin. Inside the church you can view a very characteristic presence of “ambulacri” that fringe the 2 transept.
Casa del fascio
The most important work of the architect Giuseppe Terragni. This building is the masterpiece of the Italian Rationalist Architecture. The façade of the building has a juxtapositions of open pillars and beams grids with full and smooth surfaces.
It is now the seat of the Guardia di Finanza Police Force.
The Museums are also betweens the walls of the city and host rooms for collections, archaeological sections and archaeology workshops. In the museums there are also Medieval sections.
Also called Victoria door’s tower, it is the most famous ruin of the medieval town walls.
The tower was built with the Moltrasio’s stones in the year 1192at the end of the road that was coming from Milan. 4O meters high, the tower has 2 windows towards the outside and 1 towards the inside. Very impressive construction.
The neoclassical building was completed in 1927 to celebrate the 100th death anniversary of the scientist Alessandro Volta.
The Museum hosts a collection of scientific instruments used by the physicist and, on the first floor, personal belongings and various awards received by the scientist.
Villa Olmo is a neoclassical villa. The construction of the Villa, which began in 1797, was commissioned by marquis Innocenzo Odescalchi from Swiss architect Simone Cantoni.
As it was designed to be a summer retreat for the aristocracy, it was built alongside the lake; the villa was named after an elm planted in the middle of the ornate gardens.
It was acquired in 1924 by the municipality of Como and today is open to the public only during exhibitions, while the lakeside gardens are freely accessible during the daytime.
Spacious and lively portal of the city facing the lake. Cavour Square is overlooked by old buildings and luxury hotels, drawing since the beginning of the last century elite’s tourism. Consecrating Como to its international fame.